The PROMOS programme
The Deutsche Akademische Austauschdienst (German Academic Exchange Service, DAAD) provides support for German students studying abroad through the PROMOS programme, funded by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research.
PROMOS mainly funds periods abroad lasting up to six months, worldwide (apart from in countries covered by ERASMUS); it provides small grants and assistance with travel costs.
hdpk students can apply for support for these two activities:
- traineeship abroad (up to six months)
- study period abroad (one semester)
Periods spent abroad are only eligible for PROMOS support when the grounds for travelling and/or the destination itself precludes support from both ERASMUS (study/traineeship) and other DAAD programmes (e.g. annual grants).
PROMOS grants are awarded via a quality-orientated selection process operated by the hdpk in accordance with DAAD guidelines.
Who can apply?
The scheme is open to regular hdpk students from all departments. Grants can only be awarded to students who hold German citizenship or are accorded parity by the BAföG.
Selection is based on the following:
- qualifications achieved,
- personal aptitude,
- the appropriateness of the planned travel in relation to previous studies, and
- knowledge of the language(s) necessary for the planned period abroad.
What documentation must be provided?
- Application form
- Covering letter, describing the appropriateness of the planned travel in relation to previous studies (maximum one page)
- Academic transcript showing performance in previous exams
- CV (in tabular form)
- Copies of degree certificates, if applicable
- Evidence of linguistic competence,
- evidence of preparatory activities if applicable (e.g. intercultural training, etc.)
- Written confirmation issued by the internship host, including type of activities intended.