We use cookies to constantly optimize our website by analyzing the site visits. For more information about the cookies we use and how to disable them, please see our Privacy Policy.








International Focus Outgoing Exchange

Outgoing Exchange

Ready for adventure?

Then take the chance to gain valuable experience abroad, to get to know foreign cultures and exciting people!

The International Office supports these efforts and is available for any questions you may have along the way. Feel free to browse the information in this section and to contact the International Office to schedule an appointment to discuss your individual situation, plans and options.

Internship Abroad

A work placement in creative programming in Spain? A music management internship in the Netherlands?

We strongly encourage all students to consider an internship experience abroad - either during your mandatory internship period, during the semester break or even between your Bachelor and Master studies. The experience that you will gain and the contacts you will make will have a lasting impact on your personal and professional life.

Our Career Service will provide the necessary guidance in helping you find and apply for an internship abroad. As an added bonus, students who are interning at a company in a participating country are eligible to apply for Erasmus funding.

Study abroad

You are interested in studying abroad but are wondering where, when and how to do it? Check below for the answers to many of your questions.

General FAQs about Studying Abroad

For Bachelor students, the 3rd year of study is the ideal period for a stay abroad. Depending on the course of study, the 5th semester is suitable for the media managers, creative industries managers and media designers, and the 6th semester for the musicians (music production, audio design, popular music).

Master students should discuss with their study programme management, when the best time abroad can be set up.

Depending on the cooperation agreement we have with our partner universities, a two semester stay may not be an option. Check with the hdpk International Office to find out if the university of your choice covers two-semester stays.

You should start your studies abroad in the winter semester since your stay must be completed within the same academic year. If you begin your studies at a foreign host university in the summer semester, you may not be able to extend.

In general, you may study abroad at any university in the world. We highly recommend choosing one of our partner universities for your study abroad adventure.

Why? Because it saves you time, effort and money. We cooperate with many universities inside and outside of Europe. Outgoing students benefit from these partnerships in different ways.

One of the perks: hdpk students will not need to pay tuition fees at the partner universities with which we have signed semester programme partnerships. Since the majority of our European partnerships were formed within the framework of the ERASMUS+ programme, you may qualify for an ERASMUS+ stipend if you study abroad at one of the qualifying universities.

Depending on your citizenship and the country you would like to go to for your study abroad experience, you may have to apply for a student visa. Since the visa regulations and the visa processing times differ from country to country, you should check as early as possible whether or not you need a visa for the country you wish to study in. Information can be found on the website of each country’s embassy. Please keep in mind that visa processing can take several weeks or even months to complete and that, in general, you must wait for the acceptance letter from your host university before you can start applying for a visa. In order to start your visa application, you must have a valid passport. If you still need to obtain or renew your passport, please do so as soon as possible since processing times can also be several weeks. If you have further questions, please take a look at our Visa Service page.

Each student is responsible for arranging their own insurance coverage. Your health insurance should be valid in the host country for the entire period of your stay abroad. Citizens of the European Union who study abroad in another EU country should be covered by their European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) but should check with their health insurance company to be sure. We also strongly recommend that students have sufficient accident and liability insurance with coverage for their host country as well as a travel insurance which includes repatriation of remains. Students participating in the ERASMUS+ program may qualify for coverage in the DAAD Group Insurance at their own cost. The DAAD Group Insurance includes health, accident and liability insurance. Check the International Office course in Moodle for more information or click on the following link: www.daad.de/versicherung/en/.

You are responsible for arranging your own accommodation for your stay abroad. Some universities offer campus housing, but you also have the possibility to rent an apartment or to live with roommates. The sooner you start your search for accommodation, the better. But don’t worry, should you not find anything before you depart for your stay abroad, consider moving into a hostel for the first few nights. Some students find it easier to look for a place to stay after they arrived in the city of their destination. The host universities can usually provide some links and other information that will help you find the right place for you. You may also want to check with your family, friends and fellow students to see if they know of a good resource. You never know who may know someone who knows someone who may have a place available in the city of your choice.

Financing your semester(s) abroad can be challenging, especially since you will need to continue to pay your tuition fees to SRH Hochschule Berlin. Students who study at one of our partner universities with which we have semester program agreements will not need to pay tuition fees at the host institution. However, if you decide to study at a university which is not a partner university, it may get costly since you may be required to also pay tuition fees to your host university. In order to help financing your study abroad adventure, you may apply for funding through Auslands-BAföG, the DAAD scholarship database or different foundations (Stiftungen) in your home country. Please check directly with these institutions to find out whether or not you are eligible to apply for funding and what the application requirements are. Students studying abroad at an ERASMUS+ partner university may qualify for an ERASMUS+ stipend. Check the ERASMUS+ programme section for more information.

In order to successfully complete your classes at the host university, you must possess very advanced language skills in the language of instruction. Most of our partner universities offer classes in English. In addition to English language skills, it is beneficial if you have at least a basic knowledge of the official language that is spoken in your host country. For example, if you plan to study in France, you may want to brush up on your French before your departure. Some universities may ask you to provide proof of sufficient language skills when you apply.

During the application process you will need to choose the classes that you wish to attend at the host university. In general, these courses should match the classes that you would take during that same semester at hdpk. This applies to the content of the courses as well as to the credit points which you will earn. Compare the curriculum of the host university to the curriculum of hdpk to identify eligible classes. Once you arrive at your host university, make sure to meet with the Academic Coordinator there in order to confirm your courses. In most cases and for various reasons, it is necessary to make changes to your class choices. All changes must be reported to hdpk within 4 weeks of your arrival at your host university and must be approved by the Examination Board. Otherwise, there will be no guarantee that we will grant you the awarded credit points after your return. Contact your Study Programme Director and our Examination Office several weeks prior to your host university’s course selection deadline for assistance with your class choices.

You must have agreed your course selection with the hdpk examination office before you start your semester abroad. Only then can we guarantee that the courses you choose will be recognized by the hdpk.

For the study semester abroad, a workload of 30 credit points (CP) or 30 ECTS credits is planned. These will be determined by a Learning Agreement before the start of the semester abroad and will be proven after return to the hdpk by a corresponding transcript of records. Both the Learning Agreement and the Transcript of Records are reviewed and approved by the Programme Management.

Overlap of semesters: In many countries it is common to have fall and spring semesters instead of winter and summer semesters. It may therefore be possible that your semester at hdpk and the semester at your host university overlap. In this case, make sure that you contact your Study Programme Director as well as the Examination Office right away to discuss your options.

Cultural differences: Study abroad is an adventure on many different levels. As similar as your home and host countries may seem, be aware that you will encounter cultural differences during your stay abroad. These can be overwhelming at first, but we encourage you to be open to them and to embrace them. Only then will you be able to get the most out of your time abroad.

If you have any questions, you can contact the staff of hdpk and your host university. Be it before, during or after your foreign adventure.

Sebastian Rabe from the hdpk International Office (Room 625):

  • Provides general information about studying, working and living abroad.
  • Provides specific information about the SRH partner universities.
  • Provides comprehensive reports of hdpk students who have studied abroad in the previous semesters so you can get a better idea of what to expect during your adventure abroad.

Moodle course (International Office):

  • provides enrolled hdpk students with detailed information about studying abroad, including application forms, semester abroad reports and partner university profiles

Your Study Program Director and/or Academic Coordinator:

  • May assist you with your course choices at your host university.
  • May find solutions with you and the Examination Office should the semester dates of hdpk and your host university overlap.

Mareike Augustin from hdpk examination office (Raum 627):

  • May find solutions with you and your Study Programme Director should the semester dates of hdpk and your host university overlap.
  • Will convert your grades once you completed your semester abroad.

The International Office of your host university is also available for questions.

Students of hdpk can request an international student ID card (ISIC). The ISIC is internationally recognized and offers numerous discounts when traveling abroad.

Detailed information can be found here.

The ISIC exhibition costs 16,50 EUR (including shipping) and can be applied for at the International Office. Please complete the application form in advance.

More information

Apply at a Partner University
Apply at a Non-Partner University
Our Partner Universities
PROMOS Scholarships
ERASMUS+ Programme
Learn more